July 09, 2011

Things that Stuck

Childhood nicknames. The rules that your grandparents set for you while you were visiting their house. Those silly little rules that parents and other adults give you to keep you safe. Things like not swimming for an hour after you eat, no running on concrete, wearing shoes on the wooden deck so you don't get splinters. It's silly little rules that stick and the things that never change. I found myself at my grandparent house for a barbecue recently. I had my cousins two little girls with me. I saw myself repeating the same little rules with them that adults had used in my life when I was little. Those little rules that I found so annoying, but they were just for my own good. As I had the girls inside to get them changed for the pool, I looked around the house. The same house that as a child seemed so big and magical to me now seemed to normal. It was just another house. But maybe it was the safety of the house. It was and is a safe place. Maybe that's all we are really looking for safety and reassurance. Because behind the things that stuck in life, is really just a sense of safety and reassurance. Maybe that's all everyone is looking for, just a little of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment